Truck Stop Love

Truck Stop sign, Van Horn, Texas

Truck Stop sign, Van Horn, Texas. I’ve never been to Van Horn, Texas. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Driving on the Thanksgiving holiday weekend is a brutal ordeal, one that shouldn’t be undertaken by the faint of heart. The weird mix of aggressive, sleep deprived drivers, truckers, and people who seem to be behind the wheel for the first time in their lives makes driving any distance dangerous and no fun. Only New Years Eve is a worse time to drive.

The road took its toll on me. Tired, hungry and needing to off-load the ocean of diet soda I’d finished, I pulled off the interstate and into a truck stop.

Truck stops are unusual places. The mix of truckers and vacationers makes for good people watching. The shops have all the things you’d expect in a business catering to interstate travelers and items that I suppose are important to have if you’re driving a giant truck. If you need it, you can get it at a truck stop

This truck stop was a zoo. Holiday traffic overwhelmed the place. There were lines at the fuel pumps and it was nearly impossible to find a parking spot. I got inside, expecting the line at the bathroom to be at least as bad as the lines outside. Fortunately, I was wrong.

Although I was desperate, and as happy as I was that there was no line at the men’s room, I paused before stepping in. Something caught my eye and made me reconsider my plan.

Thanksgiving marks the start of the Christmas holiday season. Not even truck stops are exempt from the seasonal decor requirement. Someone at the truck stop thought that, as part of the festive holiday decoration, this was a good idea -

unnamed

Shower the people you love with love? (photo copyright – me)

The mix of signs got me to wondering if  I really should go in. The need to relieve myself was intense, but I wasn’t in search of any sort of romantic entanglement. Desperation drove my decision to go in. I took care of my business, washed my hands and came back out.

Maybe you really can get whatever you’d need at a truck stop.

It might not be a good idea, but I suppose you could.

30 Comments on “Truck Stop Love”

1. Katie says:

This made me laugh out loud: “The need to relieve myself was intense, but I wasn’t in search of any sort of romantic entanglement.”

2. List of X says:

Normally, these showers have hot water, but today’s special is Love!

Highway showers?! Ick. Never in a million years.

4. knace says:

And from this day forward, when I hear that song by Mr. Taylor, I’m going to picture you at a truck stop bathroom. =) =) =)

5. Todd says:

I don’t know what to say.

6. lbwoodgate says:

“Maybe you really can get whatever you’d need at a truck stop.”

If not there then surely you can at Alice’s restaurant

The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach? I guess not at a truck stop. At a truck stop you pick up love in the washroom THEN take it to dinner in the diner and then, back to the motel that’s next to the truck stop, where you can consummate that love with “Convoy” playing in the background.

8. tundrawoman says:

Left over from Valentine’s Day. Kinda like the “Candy” in the parking lots…left-overs.

Truck stops are my favorite place to get coffee when I’m on the road. Prices are good and the variety is excellent. A T & A near me has a good dozen varieties.

10. Many rest stops across the nation have showers also. I am always leary of these, but if you are traveling across country, sometimes clean is better than funk in enclosed spaces. This is especially true if you are traveling with teenagers.

There is a slightly skewed message with this one though. Trepidition would have followed me were I you.

11. Ouch. It’s all so very wrong. Still, I’m thankful for the people who run these stops in some pretty desolate areas. But I never go looking for love in all the wrong places. Not any more, at least.

12. Grammar Police says:

I wonder if “mens” is supposed to be a plural of “men”.

13. I have never seen a truck stop that offered a shower as part of the deal. It certainly seems like a good idea. Of course I’m with you on not looking for a relationship while taking care of my business.
    Unfortunately I have no idea what the video is at the end. It hasn’t been made “available in my country”. It seems this is happening more and more lately. It is discouraging when when a lot of us have readers from all over the world.

14. I wonder what festive decoration was hanging under the sign for the Women’s Showers.

I remember traveling over Thanksgiving many years ago, when nothing was open. No food, no gas stations. Talk about brutal! At least now there are truck stops — though I wouldn’t be brave enough to bathe there, ha!

16. Lizi says:

Hilarious, as always! I love your blog a ton so I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award :)