I Did Not Shoot My Eye Out And I Like What I See

Yesterday, I was at my parents place for dinner.

Here is where the story goes back in time to the part that is spookily like the movie A Christmas Story.

Lets Go Back To 1969

Daisy Model 21

When I was in third grade, my dad got a new job. His first assignment was in Charleston, West Virginia. There were a lot of differences between Charleston and my previous home, Hoboken, New Jersey. Differences like I could play outside and I couldn’t see Manhattan. I was a kid, so I adapted and made friends.

One of the friends I made had a bb gun. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. What’s the best way to get the coolest stuff when you’re a kid? Ask for it for Christmas.

Well, that worked. My dad bought me a bb gun and put it under the tree. I later learned he did it over the objection of my mom and grandparents. It wasn’t just any bb gun, it was a double barrel gun. Even the coolest kid in the neighborhood had never heard of such a thing until I showed him my Daisy Model 21 Double Barrel bb gun.

My father showed me how to use it in the back yard. I used it to knock over cans and bottles across the yard. I never fired it toward any animals and I did not shoot my eye out.

Here comes the part where the story returns to yesterday.

Welcome Back To 2013

My mother kept pretty strict control of the gun from the moment it entered our lives. How strict? I’m fifty-one years old. I’ve been a police officer for twenty-eight years. I am a hostage negotiator. I’m very familiar with all sorts of weapons and I’ve never shot anyone’s eye out. If responsible me wants to see that bb gun, I have to do it at my parents house.

So my nephew was shooting the gun at some cans. He’s a senior in high school, older than I was when I got the gun, and a good kid. Because he is all those things and a grandson, he knows where the bb gun is in my mother’s house. As I walked out to join him, someone mentioned how old the gun was and wondered what it was worth.

A quick net search gave me the answer. The gun was only produced for two years and is sought after by collectors. I’ve found it for sale on the internet between $600 and $850. I’m certain that my dad didn’t drop $850 on it in 1969. I still haven’t found an original price for the gun, but I can’t imagine it was more than $25.

That’s a pretty good return on investment. I’ll have to get my hands back on that thing one of these days.

I’m going to get my nephew to help me get it. I’m not allowed to touch it without asking.

31 Comments on “I Did Not Shoot My Eye Out And I Like What I See”

1. benzeknees says:

I think it’s hilarious you are a police officer & can still not handle the gun except at your mother’s home. Maybe she’s waiting for you to get a “travel permit?”

2. Such is the way with parents and there children. This seems perfectly reasonable to me, if you think about it doesn’t it to you also.

3. lbwoodgate says:

Double barrel eh? Impressive. I wasn’t even aware they made such a bb gun. How cool were you back then? Disregarding the Mom restriction of course.

4. Not quite the same, but my mom still cringes when I slice a bagel. I’m 42 years old and of Jewish descent. I know how to cut a flipping bagel. And then add cream cheese, lox, a tomato, maybe some capers and if I promise not to kiss Hot Joe some onion.

I’m hungry.

5. Pie says:

You may be responsible to us, but to your parents, you’re their child for life…

6. What impresses me most about this story is your dad’s strength of will. Over the objections of your mother he bought the gun and put it under the Christmas tree? Wow.

That’s one of the amazing things about to me in this whole tale. They were and remain in lock step with one another. There was no daylight between them on how things would be in our house. Then this happened and was never repeated.

Missing the obvious here…Mom’s a dead-eye shot and somewhere in the house is her stash of secretly-won shooting awards…probably in the same place she hides the bb gun. Plus, isn’t possession 9/10th ownership? ;)

Actually, she is quite a good shot. She was a switchboard operator in an FBI office back before women were agents. She was on the office pistol competition team.

I’m not sure what makes less sense, not allowing women to be agents or saying “we need one more person for the team. Where can we get someone? How about the switchboard?”

• Blogdramedy says:

If it was back in the day when the switchboard was made up of all those holes that the operator had to jam in the connection cord…not so hard to understand. They knew she could hit a target.

8. We Found Him Captain! says:

It is true that possession is 9/10 of owner ship. However I have the feeling that if you asked to have the BB shotgun, your folks would probably say “sure!” It was yours all along. It’s been in the same place all these years. Come and get it!!!!!

9. robincoyle says:

Mom’s are fiercely protective that way. Maybe will let you use the BB gun in your next hostage negotiation situation if you say, “pretty please with sugar on top.” Or, simply use that line in your next hostage negotiation. No BB gun will be required.

10. That is good. Our neighbor got a bb gun one Christmas morning back in the 70’s. He proceeded to shoot a girl walking by first thing and his mother took a hammer to it. As kids, we thought that was the best story. A bb gun that worked for a few hours one xmas morning.

11. This could almost be the story that led to the Christmas mega-hit “A Christmas Story”. Hollywood took creative licence of course and poor Ralphie got maimed. I wonder. Did Ralphie grow up to be a police officer, a hostage negotiator or an arms dealer?

Scarier things can happen with less scary toys (inadvertent swallowing, for example). Mom-logic isn’t always sensible BUT it’s always done out of love. Your mom rocks, Oma (your dad, too, for being brave enough to stand up to Mom-logic and understand that a new-kid-on-the-block needs a “Wow” kind of toy!!

13. My brothers and I lobbied hard for BB guns, without success. Undaunted, we raised the stakes a few years later and pushed for a communal mini-bike or go cart – also rejected.

14. I am impressed that Momawarisan is aware of and fully and responsibly executing the Maternal Oversight Clause of the 2nd Amendment.

15. shoutabyss says:

When I was a kid we used to have BB gun fights in the undeveloped subdivision lots across the street. It was always a good time. Sure it stung when those things hit you on the neck or what not. And we didn’t have eye protection back then. We did it idiot style. I’m lucky that I didn’t have my eye shot out, too.