Sunday Film Series: How To Make A Pineapple Jack O’Lantern

Jack-O-Lanterns

All of these pumpkins are jerks. Top row center is beyond a jerk.(Photo credit: Joe Shlabotnik)

Pumpkin. I don’t like it. If you’ve been around the blog a while, you know that.

I don’t like how it seems to have imposed itself into our diet. It doesn’t belong in beer. It has no place in soup.

Last year, I called upon all earthlings to turn away from pumpkin as the traditional Jack O’Lantern. I took no issue when pumpkin was just about Halloween decor. The problem startedĀ  when pumpkin forced itself upon our dinner plates.

This week’s film depicts the making of a Jack O’LanternĀ from a delicious pineapple. Enjoy. Then enjoy some pineapple. Pineapple doesn’t suck, unlike somepumpkin we all know.

14 Comments on “Sunday Film Series: How To Make A Pineapple Jack O’Lantern”

1. I’m genuinely confused about who it is that we all know who sucks. Usually, when that happens, it’s the person who’s genuinely confused.

Normally, I’m opposed to violence against pineapples, but I’m trying to get past the possibility that I’m the one we all know who sucks, so . . . Up With Pineapple, Down With Pumpkins!!!

I tried to clarify things by changing someone to somepumpkin. The “unlike someone we all know” isn’t really effective in print, is it? It sort of relies on the eyeroll and jerk of the head toward the person or pumpkin in question, which in this case is pumpkin and not you.

Where do I get a knife like that? Whenever I stick a knife into a pineapple, it just sits there.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

4. Michelle Gillies says:

Forgive me Omar. I love the pumpkin and anything that can be made from pumpkin. Except for the jack-o-lantern. I don’t really care about the jack-o-lantern part so a pineapple will do. I have some delicious recipes that use pumpkin and pineapple.
    On another note … I loved the film. I laughed, I cried and was thrilled by your talent.

5. Wendy says:

What! No candle?

The pineapple is a magnificent fruit. There’s pina coladas, pineapple juice, pineapple upside down cake, ham with pineapple, etc.

Did you know that the pineapple is the official fruit of the hospitality industry? You’re welcome.

8. Lenore Diane says:

We ordered pizza for dinner tonight, and I am going to eat it with my last bottle of pumpkin ale. I am not ashamed. I embrace my ‘somepumpkin’-ness.
    Though I add, that pineapple sure did look juicy and delicious. I felt a little guilty licking my lips at the anticipation of tasting the insides. I never get that feeling when I cut into pumpkins…

9. The pineapple union is going to have something to say about this.