The Policies Of My Administration: Boot Camp

Sometimes, terms get taken over and misapplied. Proud words, who once stood for something, now hang their heads in shame. They became hip and so overused that they now mean nothing.

Today’s policy announcement is intended to help a phrase that was once synonymous with a significant rite of passage return to its rightful place of honor.

Hey Maggot, you call those blocks stacked? (photo copyright, me)

My administration will stand up for boot camp.

Remember When Boot Camp Meant Boot Camp?

When I was young, I had an uncle and a cousin who entered military service. Their first stop after the recruiter’s office was boot camp.

I’d never been to boot camp, but I understood it was not a picnic. It involved angry, squared jawed men in round hats yelling at recruits so closely that spit would fly out on the new soldiers’  faces and they were not allowed to complain about it. They would learn to shoot guns, crawl under barbed wire and fight using big q-tip things.

When my cousin and uncle came back after boot camp I could see that they were different in so many ways. They’d been through something significant and were proud of it. It prepared them for what was to come in their military careers. The boot camp experience meant something to those who lived through it and to the people around them.

Boot Camp Doesn’t Mean Boot Camp Anymore

Take this, new daddy. (public domain – wikimedia)

Today we have all sorts of boot camps. It has become synonymous with any sort of training.

Every advertisement we  see for a sales, yoga , bible or new daddy boot camp diminishes the experience that my relatives went through years ago. It weakens the respect for what young people who are now entering military service go through just to gain what they see as the privilege of protecting their nation.

So, no matter how hip some might think it would be to designate something other than military basic training as boot camp, my administration will not tolerate it. No one will be able to associate their lesser experiences with the all out transformative exertion we all know boot camp is.

New Daddy Boot Camp? Please. Don’t make me want to hit you in the head with this big q-tip.

22 Comments on “The Policies Of My Administration: Boot Camp”

1. My son still isn’t sharing details, but I’m pretty sure no kindergartener should endure what he went through. . . whatever it was. ‘Galosh Camp’ maybe.

I love your first caption. When I was a student teacher, someone raised the issue of what to call a collective group of high school students, since there wasn’t that much age difference between us. “Boys and Girls” seemed too condescending and “Ladies and Gentleman” something that would get nothing but chuckles. The class clown said, “Well, I plan to march right in there and say, ‘Listen up, Maggots.”

The professor was not amused. The rest of us were.

2. List of X says:

Maybe there should be a boot camp on the proper use of the term “Boot Camp”.

3. lbwoodgate says:

It’s possible that the idea of a kindergarten boot camp appeals to parents who are intimidated by their toddlers and are incapable of discipling their own children.

Some parents have no business being parents.

And if you don’t handle them as toddlers, you won’t handle them as teenagers. Doesn’t mean you’ve got to be mean, but you do have to establish how things should and will be.

But I’m preaching to the choir here, I think.

4. Lenore Diane says:

New Daddy Boot camp? Never. The whole ‘boot camp’ annoys me, too. I look forward to the day your administration takes office, Oma. The world will be a better place.

5. Michelle Gillies says:

My Dad, two brothers, two nephews and one niece all participated in the real “Boot Camp” and went on to serve in Canada and in the US. One nephew still serves. Somehow it never occurred to me how insulting these “Booty Boot Camps” I see everywhere are to those people in my life. Thanks for pointing it out Oma. You and your administration have once again opened by eyes.

You are 100% right on this one! My late dad also went through Boot Camp and it wasn’t exactly a stroll in the park. Nothing demeans a word like overuse!

My thanks go out to your dad.

When I saw the kindergarten sign, I thought it was as far as the overuse could go. But they might be able to drag it further down if they try.

7. We Found Him Captain! says:

You are right on target. In the military jargon of yesteryear, the term” boot camp” originated in the airborne divisions of the US Army. After a recruit completed his basic training and jump school a soldier earned the right to wear jump boots a.k.a. paratrooper boots. All the other army divisions tried to measure up to the high standards of the airborne recruit training. If you washed out of jump school you went to the regular army training camp ( no disgrace cause it was tough enough) They had those boots so highly shined you could use them as mirrors. You could always tell the paratroopers from the regular army guys. Paratroopers set the standards which all others would try to copy.
    It was no picnic trying to look as sharp as a “jump boy” and it still is to this day. Only a Marine can do it.

To me, Boot Camp will always be the place I take my shoes to get re-soled.

9. Just last night my kids were talking about boot camp and I suggested it might be fun to send them to a camp that actually taught them to make boots.

I agree. One of the things I missed doing for my son was getting him involved in indentured servitude. Sure, it’s lousy when you’re there, but you come out with a trade.

There aren’t enough cobblers in the world.

10. Been away and catching up–I totally agree with you. It can’t be boot camp if the DI can’t swear at you and I doubt that is happening at kindy boot camp. What I also wonder about is what it is that kindergarten kids need to be tutored in? Differential calculus?