Will The Baltimore Orioles Cause The End Of The World?

I have always been a Baltimore Orioles fan. I always will be. Even if they cause the end of the world, they will be my team. Truthfully, if they end the world, it will be partly my fault.

Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. Ok, it was in Baltimore.(Image via wikipedia/paul-w)

My brother and I went to our first major league baseball game with our dad at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. It was the first game of the 1973 American League Championship, the Birds vs the Oakland A’s. We sat in left field, Jim Palmer pitched, I saw Brooks and Frank and Boog and Mark and Earl. The O’s won the game. I’ll always remember that day.

The Orioles last won the World Series in 1983 (before that, 1966 & 1970). Things have been bleak since. I’m still a fan. The autographed Brooks Robinson photo my brother got me still hangs over my desk. With the team’s current ownership, I’ve looked forward to opening day only because I was pretty sure that would be my only chance to see the O’s on top of the standings. I am still a fan.

And now, there’s this year. The Orioles are in contention to win the American League East. They’re nearly assured a spot in the playoffs. Once they’re in the playoffs, The Series is one hot streak away. If they make it to the World Series, they could win. I’d be thrilled…but then, there is this little matter of the end of our planet.

Sometimes I Am Not An Optimist

English: Mayan calendar created by a modern cr...

Mayan calendar. Good for knowing when Mayan Easter is. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

In August, 2009, I wrote about the end of the world. “Experts” declared that the world would end late in 2012, coinciding with the end of the Mayan calendar. There was also a movie about the world ending in 2012.

My level of tolerance for end of the world talk was reached. I wrote of how pointless it was for a deity to choose a secret end date for the world, then create a calendar with that date conveniently encoded on it.

I mentioned that if I were going to set a date for the world to end, I wouldn’t do something as simple as the calendar running out of days. No, I’d choose something like the Baltimore Orioles winning the World Series.

Yes, I said that. I said it because, though I am a fan, I am also a realist. I was sure The Birds would never be world champs again. I could safely use my team’s ultimate success as the unlikely event that would trigger the apocalypse. We’d never come close to doomsday if the Baltimore Orioles had to bring home the World Series trophy to start it.

So Now Look Where We Are

Three years later, it is 2012, the year “experts” told us the Mayans foresaw as the end of it all. Simultaneously, the thing I was so confident would never happen that I bet the world on it is now very possible. The O’s are in the running; there’s only a week left in the season.

Coincidence? I don’t think so.

The world might really end if they win it all. In the name of Wild Bill Hagy, I hope they do. Bring on the end, I’ll go with a wondrous smile.

23 Comments on “Will The Baltimore Orioles Cause The End Of The World?”

Have you tried changing the end-of-the-world date to something else? I mean, what are the odds that you have the power to set the date that the world ends but not the power to change it?

As long as the Orioles knock out the Yankees, I’m good with it (said the Red Sox fan.)

3. Oma, it’s like you are escorting me down memory lane….Memorial Stadium, Wild Bill, Orioles Magic! And then you go and tell me it signifies the end of the world. Shouldn’t one of the Policies of Your Administration be the Right to Change Prior Proclamations? Or at least to force a change in team ownership?

The Wild Bill vide on that link is funny. Great acting.

Yeah, I really should have thought through my ability to change my mind.

When I’m in charge, I will fix the debacle of O’s ownership.

4. Michelle Gillies says:

I guess I better start watching the games. I would hate to miss the end of the world.
    By the way I passed on 7 X7 Link Award to your blog.

5. What have you done?!?! They’ll probably win this year because it’ll be the first year in quite awhile I haven’t been to a game. It’s distracting to have a chick running around the stands trying to flag down the cotton candy guy.

Whenever I think about the end of the world, I think…what would Cal Ripken do? In my imagination, the Ironman turns to me, smiles and says, “It ever happens? You get to sit behind third base for all our games. In heaven, we play every day.”

I found my love of baseball through this guy. Thanks for the memories. :)

7. lbwoodgate says:

Soooooooo. If my team, the Texas Rangers, make it to the World Series, we’ll not only be the 4th team ever to do a three-pete but will in effect have saved the world from destruction. Right?

Actually though the Rangers are struggling with both pitching and batting and if they do hang on to make it into the playoffs, I don’t see us making it much past the first round.

We poor Cubs fans wait expectantly year after year, but get nothing. “Oh, well, maybe next year” has become the mantra. You’re lucky to be the fan of a winning team!

9. Lenore Diane says:

I’m holding out for the Chicago Cubs, Oma. That is when the world will end. Besides, the Braves are in the running (again) this year. Don’t get rid of anything you may need when this Series is over, because I’m not sure it is time for the Orioles just yet.

10. And Doug and Al and Rick . . .and Earl’s tomato plants. When they closed Memorial Stadium, my brother came home with a bleacher. I think my parents would have preferred he go the more conventional autographed-picture-of-Brooks route.

I would have “liked” this, but I didn’t want to appear to be in favor of the end of the world. For now I’m waiting to learn more of the presidential candidates’ positions before I decide whether I’m pro or con.

Doug. What a lousy spot to be in, coming in behind Brooks.

Loved that stadium in the middle of the neighborhood like that. No sense in leaving early, you were probably parked in.