In Search Of Super Bird

A long time ago, there was the incident. The incident led to a response. That response was so swift and sure that it eliminated not only the toy that I used to cause the incident, but anything on the planet that referred to it.

I want that toy back. I want a Super Bird.

What Is A Super Bird?

Searching the net for Super Bird brings up many sites and photos about the 1970 Plymouth muscle car with the big wing on the back.

The Plymouth Superbird is famous for its giant...

Not what I’m after, yet highly acceptable.(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

This is not the Super Bird that I am looking for. Of course, if you have one of these cars that you’re sick of, I’d make room for it in the driveway.

The object of my search is a toy, but not a toy car.

I had this toy when I was five or six years old. It was light plastic, hollow, and vaguely dove shaped. My Super Bird was white, with a blue felt cape and a painted on mask.

Inside the body were the workings of the toy – a spring-loaded plastic wheel of spokes, with a suction cup on the end of each spoke. When a string that extended from the bird’s side was pulled, it wound the wheel and spring. The bird could then be stuck onto a smooth, vertical surface. He would climb it using his suction cup feet. The spring would turn the wheel so that as one cup would release, the next would rotate into position and stick.

Deutsch: Mobiles Navigationsgerät der Firma Na...

We all know these suction cups don’t work like this. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

My history with suction cups has not been good. Super Bird was the exception. He was a very effective climber. I’d wind him, stick him to a window and he would pop, pop, pop right up to the top.

If/Then

I spent a lot of time walking the toy up any vertical surface his feet would stick to. It was exciting to see him climb the fridge, the stove and the door. I even made him climb the television during his own commercial. It was exciting, but I wanted more.

If just seemed that if Super Bird could climb a refrigerator then he should be able to climb a lot of other things. I made a great effort to find those things. I was a trial and error guy, but I didn’t pick up on the bird’s need for a smooth surface. Maybe I should have kept notes.

In the midst of the trial and error, I had an idea. It would be really good if Super Bird walked across a person’s head. That idea was the start of the incident.

The Incident

My brother was three years younger than I was. He’s still three years younger; he hasn’t gained a day on me in the decades since this incident. Let’s not dwell on his lack of ambition in that area. We’ll move on to my regretful choice concerning him and Super Bird.

I envisioned putting Super Bird on my brother’s head. I’d see the bird walk over his head and fall off, bumping his nose after falling from his forehead. Things did not work out according to my vision.

Suction cups do not stick to a three-year-old’s hair in quite the same way they do to glass. The spring-driven wheel spun, tangling itself into my brother’s hair. I tried taking it off of his head, but Super Bird had a spring-loaded death grip on his hair and was pulling it. He was yelling.

This was not going well for me. It was going worse for him.

It took her several minutes to free my brother’s hair from Super Bird’s grip. She was not happy with me or Super Bird. One of us disappeared, forever. The other is here, writing about a missing toy.

Here’s The Thing

My mom was really mad and I never saw Super Bird again. I’m a parent, I get that.

If you search the net, you won’t find Super Bird. He doesn’t come up on an image search. He isn’t available on e-Bay.

I get that she was mad. I understand why I didn’t get my bird back, I probably would have put him on my brother again. Everything I can think of is on the internet…except Super Bird. Did she really go into the future and eliminate him from the net? That is the only explanation for the fact that no one knows about this toy.

Please let me know if you happen to see one. I’m still a trial and error guy, and my brother still has a good head of hair.

36 Comments on “In Search Of Super Bird”

1. Lenore Diane says:

“My brother was three years younger than I was. He’s still three years younger…” That is so very much my sense of humor.

I am so very sorry, Oma. As I read you words, I wondered what toys I have tossed that belonged to my boys. I suppose I can look forward to a post similar to this one in my future, written by one of my sons.

I will keep my eye out for Super Bird. I hope I find it. I’d love to return it to you.

Oh, I think that stuff that vanishes quietly you probably won’t hear from again. This was a big event when it happened.

My brother is putting no effort forth in the aging department.

2. Katybeth says:

Wow-you even placed your own “In search of super bird” on Ebay–It was you right?
    I know a guy who knows a guy who is a toy collector–I will have my guy talk to his guy and se if he knows anything about Super Bird with the cape. Uncle Fun’s in Chicago http://www.unclefunchicago.com/ also has a lot of, uhm, cool stuff and may be able to help.
    BUT….
    Have you considered your mom may still have that bird and is waiting for you to be good so she can give it back to you?

I’ll have to check my eBay and see, dont think it was me.

I just hung up with my mom when your comment went up. She didn’t remember it until I described it…then she remembered getting it out of my brother’s hair. Suspicious. I think she’s sitting on him.

As a mom, my guess is your mom hid Super Bird so well that she eventually forgot all about him (including his whereabouts!). That’s what moms do to prevent their offspring from decapitating (or scalping) one another. I don’t remember Super Birds. They sound pretty cool, though, and if one magically turns up, I’ll know where to send it!

4. Todd Pack says:

I remember that toy! They advertised it during Mr. Cartoon (the local weather man in disguise, plus one of the Banana Splits, introduced old Warner Bros. cartoons on the local NBC affiliate weekday afternoons). I really, really wanted one, but my parents said no, because it wouldn’t work as well in real life as it did in the commercials.

Yes! That’s exactly the sort of show that I saw it on.
      My folks are very practical people, so I’m not sure why they didn’t see that it shouldn’t have worked like the cartoon commercial said it would, but I have to tell you it did.
      If I find one, you can come over and we’ll play with it. Then we can go visit my brother.

5. One wonders if there isn’t some metaphysical correlation between The Incident and your continued lack of success with suction cups.

Maybe now that you’ve expressed your regret, with heartbreakingly poignant detail I might add, the lesson is complete and your Super Bird will be returned to you. Say, “Rumpelstilsken” and see what happens. . . .

(and if a car with wings shows up in your driveway, you can thank me later). . . .

Hmmm….because Super Bird was so stunningly successful until the incident, I am doomed to have my gps fly off the windshield and hit me in the bits?

6. Here’s more fun than I should’ve had at work today. The items aren’t tagged, which means you have to look at the catalogs the old-fashioned way. http://www.wishbookweb.com/

I already checked the 1970 JC Penney Christmas book. Excuse me while I go get the newsprint off my fingers. . . .

7. I am now on a mission to find an obscure toy with a questionable history.

8. robincoyle says:

Aa a mom, I DO know how to eliminate the future.

Hey, you get the Trigger Junior photos?

Man, there is so much involved in being a mother.

Yes, I did get the pictures, but my manners slipped. Anyone who would go to that trouble to have a horse in their living room is ok by me. Thank you for sending them.

Hey, my manners are back. Cool.

9. Mario DeLara says:

I’ve been looking for at least a glimpse of this toy..I had it in 1970 or so,,,I was 5…I’m amazed nobody knows what the hell we’re talking about….We have to find out who the manufacturer was..I loved it,,it’s like this cool memory from a time gone past…

10. Susan says:

I have a similar bird, but it has a wind up tab on the side, not a string and never had a cap and is yellow. Well, maybe not so similar?

11. marky lennon says:

i’m the younges of 13 kids…now i’m 49 but still a kid. we had 3 superbirds…i woke up this xmas morning thinking of all my fave old vintage xmas toys & SUPERBIRD popped into my head…found your article & no other photos…damn!

12. Rich Powell says:

Impossible to find. I google it occasionally but never find an image. I did find THIS though, and it was very enjoyable!

13. RayM says:

I remember Super Bird! I vaugely remember owning one as a very young child. It could only walk up the smoothest-cleanest surface and the suction pads needed to be ultra-clean. I think it also could climb up it’s pullstring too. But didnt do much else. Mine also disappeared into the black hole of unused toys. I also remember seeing TV ads for it a few years later when I was about 10 or 12, so Im thinking there was some sort of re-issue. I also Google it occasionally but alas, there is no mention of it, except this blog I happened to stumble on today. Good luck in your search!

14. Marilyn says:

I TOO had a super bird! Mine was blue, and my sister’s was red. Mine had cracked down its center seam and my dad glued it back together with that smelly, goopy, yellow glue. But I loved my super bird, nonetheless. Why can’t we find one?! Is the super bird the most rare vintage toy in existence?

• Anonymous says:

Me and my 2 borthers had these and then one day they all disappeared. They use to peck there way to the top of the wall with suction cup wheel just as you descripted. Left little dimples on the wall. Think my mom said no way is this going to happen. lol

15. Anonymous says:

hi.
    the 1960s

16. lionel says:

Best damn toy out of the late 60′s early 70′s…I had 3 of em…boy could they climb!

17. Greg says:

Absolutely one of the coolest toys ever. My brother & I must have had 5 or 6 of them, ’cause the spring mechanism kept busting for some reason (maybe we made him fall from great heights?) and my dad was always willing to buy us another one.

18. Shmool Onzo says:

I had that toy. We’re talking 1964/65/66
    I was a great toy.
    I wonder who manufactured it. Would love to see it again

19. Angel Hernandez says:

I’ve thought about this toy for many years. I still see it in my mind. I remember how blue mine was. I did see the picture of the one that was posted here from Ebay but I don’t think that was it. Has anybody tried youtube to see if the commercial still exists?