An Update On My Old Friend The Wolf

It’s been more than a year since I wrote my post The Sheepdog And The Wolf. I still hear from readers who want to know how The Wolf is.

I put a few updates on Twitter and answered a few emails about him, but recently I have avoided the topic because I really did not know what to say. I haven’t seen the old guy for a while. Sometimes when you don’t see someone, that isn’t a good sign.

Fortunately that is not the case here.

Given our history in the distant past, I was hesitant to ask about him. Back in the day, when I asked where he was it usually meant the jig was up on something he’d done.

Time has caught up with The Wolf. I gather he’s turned things around. He’s even asked God to bless me and urged me to be┬ácareful when we’ve spoken. Back when the jig was up, he used to do the opposite. I think that somewhere deep down it would stress him to know I was asking. I didn’t want that.

But I couldn’t stand wondering. My own concern and curiosity got the best of me and I finally asked someone about him.

It seems The Wolf has had some health problems but has recovered. He still roams his new area, chatting with the business owners and residents as he passes through on his rounds.

In our heyday, it would have bothered me to know he was out there and I wasn’t seeing him just because my timing was off. It’s not our heyday anymore.

I’ll wait until I happen across him naturally. I’ll make sure he knows I’m glad to see him when I approach.

Because neither of us can run worth a damn anymore. We’d just look ridiculous.

12 Comments on “An Update On My Old Friend The Wolf”

1. Somewhere deep inside, he knows that someone cared to care and that can make all the difference in a person’s life.

The Sheepdog and the Wolf is one of my favorite Blurt posts. I’m glad to hear he’s doing okay.

3. Blond Stranger says:

I went back and read it again. Still one of my all time favorite posts.

4. My Odd Family says:

Nice to hear the Wolf roams on…now what about singer?

Hoppy Easter.

And to you.

The Singing Guy was transferred to a different section. I’ve got my people watching for an opportunity to deliver another gift to him.

I’ll have to write about what happened there in more detail.

Kind of you to be concerned. Kind of the Wolf to bless you. Looks like there’s a lot of kindness being passed around. What a fun, warm and fuzzy story!

It is funny to contemplate him of all people saying that. I’d have never bet on it.

In fact if you’d have shown young me a video from the future of old him saying that to old me Id have thought you made it up. I’d have also asked where my hair was going.