The Hunger Games And The Cornucopia

The Hunger Games (film)

I have no idea what this is about or why it is so big (The Hunger Games (film) (Photo credit: Wikipedia))

I’m going to start out with an admission that I probably ought to make more often. I don’t know anything about what I’m writing about.

More specifically, I don’t know anything about The Hunger Games. I do know something about cornucopia and have written about it in the past. I don’t know how cornucopia fits in to what seems the big movie of the season.

So There I Was, Minding My Own Business

So much of life starts that way, doesn’t it?

I noticed Thursday on Facebook that a friend was planning to go to a midnight showing of The Hunger Games. The next morning, she was up and off to work. Later in the day she posted that she would be sleeping in on Saturday and would do in anyone who interrupted that sleep. She indicated she would do this “cornucopia style”.

Thinking of this person, a great mom and a friend I’ve had a lot of laughs with, losing her temper and raining cornucopia blows upon some unfortunate who woke her with a text message was a great source of amusement for me as I went through the day. I had no idea why she would choose the horn of plenty as a weapon.

So I Went Back To My Own Business

But cornucopia and The Hunger Games came and found me.

I went online and there it was, in another blog: “any one of the scenes involving the Cornucopia could be a reenactment of every meal served at our dining table ever.”  The Hunger Games were in the title of the post, so I knew that the writer would be discussing the film on some level – I’m perceptive like that.

Given that I thought my friend had just developed an interest in unusual weapons that also produced food, it shocked me to run across it again.

Jacksonville, Fla. (Nov. 22, 2005) - Culinary ...

You brush this stuff on it, then you go to clobbering people with it, or something. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks (or the horn of plenty). Both cornucopia references connected to the movie. So obviously, there is a cornucopia in The Hunger Games. I’m perceptive like that. Perhaps it is a food source. It could be something to vanquish one’s opponents with. There is nothing stopping it from being both.

So Now I’m Going Back To My Own Business Again

As big a deal as this movie seems, I’m sure I’m going to run across more references to the horn of plenty. I don’t know what role it plays in the movie. I just know that I’m now going to be a little afraid of Thanksgiving decorations.

And just for good measure, I’m not going to text my friend on Saturday morning.

Seriously, what’s the deal with the cornucopia?

21 Comments on “The Hunger Games And The Cornucopia”

I’m sorry — I can’t help you. I was thinking about reading The Hunger Games, but now that the movie is out, I don’t want to see the movie until I’ve read the book, and I don’t want to read the book until I’ve seen the movie. So I’m stuck.

2. Ha ha ha ha ha!!! I saw Hunger Games today. Yes, the cornucopia is where the tributes enter the arena. This is where vital supplies and food is stored where each tribute risks their lives to get a nap sack of rope, pocket knife, bow and arrow, bag of apples, you know. So as the Games begin it’s a literal blood bath of tributes fighting over supplies, killing each other for said supplies. So there you go. The Cornucopia.

Aha! Got it.

If that happens for real, I’m getting the bow and arrow. That guy with the apples doesn’t stand a chance. Come on over, I’m making cider.

3. weid0089 says:

Just got home from seeing the Hunger Games!!! So happy to see it on your blog. They are great books! Like usual, the movies were not quite up to par. The cornucopia plays a vital role in the games. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee read this series. I promise it is 10x better than the Twilight series!!!

So there’s no sparkly people?

Does the girl pick the anemic looking guy over the beefy dude?

How the hell does a vampire get to be anemic?

Now look what you’ve done. I’m ranting about the wrong story. Good job!

4. I don’t know anything about what you’re talking about.

Something about the plot of this movie disturbs me. Perhaps it’s just more realistic than I like for a movie. Call me silly, but I like talking animals and a happy ending!

I can’t argue with you. I have a hard time paying to watch people be miserable or suffer pain.

I would make an exception if people were bonking each other with cornucopia.

I read that most of this movie was filmed in North Carolina.
    I agree with Debbie’s comment about disturbing plot. I reluctantly read all three books and immediately felt discomfort with book number one.

Oh God, it is inescapable that they filmed it here. That’s all we’ve head for a week…”and here’s a Carolinian’s connection, The Hunger Games was filmed in Shelby”.

7. I must confess that in this case I don’t know what you are writing about either!

8. The cornucopia they use in the film is ridiculously futuristic! Nothing like you imagine in the books. And to one and all, do not see the film until you read the books otherwise you will think it’s just a big holiday with fighting the book shows the gruesome hardship..the film…..not so much

9. Soooo…let me get this straight…you’re asking for someone to give you the answers? Like Cliff Notes so you don’t have to read the book? ::head shaking::