Cover Song Of The Month: Stairway To Heaven

It has been a while since I have posted a Cover Song Of The Month. For those of you who are newer to the blog, this series documents some of the cover music that lives on my iPod. Perhaps this series ought to be renamed Cover Song That I forgot To Write About Last Month. I’ll think that over and see if the next similar post in a few months gets a new title or not.

Probably not. Anyhow, I have a special treat for you.

Led Zeppelin produced a lot of great music. Since they stopped playing together, people have been waiting for them to come back. Yeah, I know part of that whole not playing together thing was one of them ending up sort of dead. People wait just the same.

One of their best known songs is Stairway To Heaven. I think you’d probably need to be in really good shape to use a stairway to heaven. I am hoping for an elevator.

I think an Escalator To Heaven would work too, but there would be issues. It would obviously be a long ride up. People would daydream as they ascended and not really pay attention when they got to the top. They’d hit that metal plate at the top and fall into heaven.

I’m sure that wouldn’t happen to everyone, but it would happen to me for sure. I tend to drift off and not focus when there isn’t much going on. I just think it would make for a lousy first impression on the people already there if I flopped down off the escalator and got back up acting like I didn’t do that..

Be that as it may, here is the Led Zeppelin version of Stairway To Heaven:

It is so good you have to play it on a guitar with two necks. I would also recommend using an amplifier that goes to eleven.

Now we move on to the cover version. A cover like no other. A cover played on guitars with only one neck.

The band Dread Zeppelin is a reggae band fronted by an Elvis impersonator. As you might figure out from the name, they are best known for their reggae Zeppelin cover. Behold, Tortelvis and Dread Zeppelin’s cover of the song that was mandatory at all high school dances of the late ’70′s:

So, there you have it. Stairway To Heaven, reggae, Elvis. What’s not to like? Here’s the part where you say what’s not to like. Comments. Poll. Go!

26 Comments on “Cover Song Of The Month: Stairway To Heaven”

1. Lenore Diane says:

I can’t listen to the audio yet, due to my remote access. However, I will come back to it – for certain. In the meantime, I love the ‘eleven’ mention and the visualization of an escalator to heaven. I hope no one is wearing flip flops or crocks on said elevator.

2. Todd Pack says:

There’s a time and a place for Elvis impersonators. This isn’t it.

P.S. I’m really OK if I never hear any of version of “Stairway to Heaven” as long as I live.

3. I am definitely not in good enough shape for a stairway to heaven. Hoping to catch a lift in a chariot, a la Elijah.

4. AiXeLsyD13 says:

Hilarious, but then again, I really enjoy goofy music.

My favorite rendition of “Stairway” is by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes off of their live album. Apparently it got them booed out of PNC Park here in Pittsburgh because Yinzers can’t appreciate good punk rock, think we’re still int he late 70′s, and/or don’t “get” taking jabs at a classic rock song.

5. Spectra says:

I disagree with Todd, in that Led Zeppelin is sacred for me (as well as Pink Floyd) and Stairway to Heaven, performed only by Zeppelin, is always divine. The Rain Song, sublime. I sang along with Plant, and my Dove chimed in from her cage..she likes it, too. And she’s a dove, with millions of years more evolutionary ancestry than any human being (birds are descendants of dinosaurs) so, she can’t be wrong!

6. jennygoth says:

great i loved it xxjen

7. I have to confess to watching the Dread Zeppelin version twice because I enjoyed it. But I don’t know if I did it because I love Godzilla movies or because the music was good. And I decided not to have a third listen to make up my mind.

I really wanted to like the Dread version. But it was just dreadful. :-)

9. jacquelincangro says:

Watching Dread Zeppelin is a bit like watching a car wreck. I don’t want to watch because it’s just so awful, but I can’t stop looking.

10. [...] Cover Song Of The Month: Stairway To Heaven (blurtblog.net) Share this:StumbleUponFacebookTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

11. sekanblogger says:

That version is somewhere between the two choices offered in the poll.
    Just had to post this, kinda sorta in response.
    There’s a link to your post with it.

12. Pie says:

Can I love Led Zeppelin, but hate Stairway to Heaven? Yes I can!

It was the only Zep tune I knew because the boys in my college days played air guitar and sang it constantly, which put me right off. Thank goodness someone had the foresight to gently ease me into the rest of their catalogue in my later years. I wanted to like Dread Zeppelin for their silliness, but it was just too awful. Rolf Harris did a version a few years ago. It went down well in Glastonbury, apparently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzJQ6ZA6oA

Well, Led Zeppelin wins for the “music” but Dread Zeppelin wins for the “video!

14. The Jolie says:

Lady Gaga wishes she were this creative!

15. shoutabyss says:

May I suggest another choice, mon frere, for your consideration?