Perhaps…

…this is a day for quiet remembrance, not chest thumping.

Perhaps we could show dignity, not boastfulness.

Perhaps we could not point fingers at one another.

Perhaps an arm around the shoulder of someone for a moment is enough today.

Honor our heroes by honoring one other.

29 Comments on “Perhaps…”

1. Yes. The chest thumping turns this thing into a football game. A tyrant is gone. Others will surface. Our U.S. forces are doing the jobs they signed up for and for them we should all be grateful.

2. Wendi says:

Eloquent and well said Oma.

3. jacquelincangro says:

I second that.

4. gmomj says:

Who can chest thump?
    10 years for God’s sake! 10 years!

5. We found him Captain!! says:

Your heart and your eloquence shine through and true. it’s a pleasure to read your words. You made my head bow.

6. Very true. Let’s avoid inspiring the next round of violence by not dancing in the streets.

7. Elly Lou says:

Well shit. You did in 5 lines what I just spent an hour plus doing. And you did it better. Well written, buttercup.

8. Amy says:

I couldn’t agree more. Very well said.

9. writerdood says:

That would be nice.

10. pienbiscuits says:

I’m with you 100%

I woke up to the news this morning with a sinking heart. Not because I’m sad for Bin Laden. He made his bed and he has plenty of time to lie in it now, but I fear for the repercussions, which are bound to come. I fully understand the feelings of those who were directly affected by the events of 9/11. We were rocked to the core when we had 7/7 in London, but I can’t help feeling that the football fan-type chanting I heard on the radio here will not help the situation one bit. As Snoring Dog Studio said, the tyrant is gone, but others will surface, which means that nothing has really changed. These are the ones we should worry about now.

Five lines beautifully placed, Oma. Thank you so much.

11. Katybeth says:

I cringed when Cole hailed a newspaper man out the window of our car on the way to work–the newspaper headline, DEAD. For me its a quiet time, reflecting back on past history- Hitler committed suicide on May 1st, Mayday, Beltain fires all call for inner reflection and special care for those around us–not dancing in the street.
    America can be proud of our President and our troops without ever forgetting the sacredness of life Our American hubris should be left behind in the rubble of 9/11 and our humility and humanity should be left to rise. My humble opinion of-course.

Perhaps.

12. June B. Stewart says:

I always learn from reading your words & today is no exception. Thank you for being wise & letting your feelings show rather than machismo.

13. madtante says:

Apart from my friend Ian, you’re the first person I’ve seen today making sense.

You should be worried to be in our company, btw.

14. We found him Captain!! says:

You’re very impressive! You must take after your Moma!

15. jaerae1971 says:

I couldn’t agree with you more.

16. Beka says:

I just stumbled upon your blog by accident, and I have to agree wholeheartedly. I am feeling a bit melancholy today, remembering all the death, destruction and global misunderstanding that led up to this one death that is being discussed so much today. I can’t begrudge others their own emotional reactions, but I think those who are doing most of the chest thumping are the vocal minority.

17. thejaggedman says:

Agreed.

18. omawarisan says:

Thanks peeps.

Regularly scheduled foolishness returns in the morning!

and welcome Beka

19. Kim Pugliano says:

Well stated!!

20. Agreed, Oma…I couldn’t have said it better myself…

Wendy

21. As an outsider looking in, perhaps that career after retirement you are seeking is actually as political speechwriter. Well said…

22. I knew I liked you for some reason. ;)

23. Kate says:

Thanks for this, Oma. I’ve been wanting to avoid most social media because of the initial reaction I’ve seen on various websites (Facebook being the worst … how shocking). It’s interesting to me how many people have such strong opinions already. I don’t have much but questions.

I did find this Colbert quote, though, that amused me: http://vindikateor.tumblr.com/post/5161381010/they-had-to-know-bin-laden-was-there-his-million#notes

24. Jeane says: