The Sheep Dog And The Wolf Go For Coffee

A photo of a cup of coffee.

Image via Wikipedia

The Wolf hangs around a coffee shop in a trendy part of town. His hair is flecked with gray. The slight limp he had years ago is now pronounced. He smiles more than he used to. His gaze is still sharp, but the ill will that once shone there is gone.

Coffee shop bustle surrounds The Wolf. He is a regular. People drift in and out, greeting him as they pass. He lingers, joking a little with the women behind the counter before he moves on.

The Wolf walks this greener pasture among sheep he’d have savaged twenty years ago. Today, they have nothing to fear from him.

The Sheep Dog wanders in for some hot chocolate. His hair is flecked with gray. He smiles more than he used to. His gaze is still sharp, but things don’t look so black and white to him anymore.

Paths Cross

In a coffee shop twenty years and five miles from their old pasture, The Wolf and The Sheep Dog exchange a nod. Each leaves, wondering if the other remembers him. Cold days pass, one after another. Some days their paths cross, others they don’t. The Wolf always smiles and nods, sometimes tossing in a “good to see you, Dog.”

Days and weeks go by, until the day the Sheep Dog walked up on The Wolf outside the coffee shop. The Wolf didn’t realize The Dog was behind him until he heard his name called. In the past, The Sheep Dog catching The Wolf unaware was a rare occurrence that never ended well for The Wolf.

“You’re the one I used to chase back in the day, aren’t you?” The Wolf’s smile got big and he nodded, “that was me.”

You Ain’t Fast Like You Was

The old foes laughed about the old place and days. About how the kids now don’t understand how it was. About their little victories over each other. Then The Wolf’s voice grew quiet.

“I’m different now, Dog. Thirteen years off that stuff. I ain’t going back, to that stuff or to that place. Here, in there, they know I was sick. I tell ‘em I’m thirteen years better and they don’t mind me coming ’round. I’m straight up about that part. But they don’t know all what I was. They don’t know what you know.”

The Sheep Dog smiled and told him his secret was safe, then started in to the shop. As they parted, The Wolf said “Be safe, Dog, you ain’t fast like you was back when”.

“I don’t have to be fast anymore. You ain’t running.”

Stay strong, Wolf.

41 Comments on “The Sheep Dog And The Wolf Go For Coffee”

1. Hippie Cahier says:

I like that the sheep are so blissfully unaware of this profound moment. This is lovely.

2. planetross says:

Sometimes a wolf can change its spots! … but not for coffee.
    hee hee!

3. Z.N. Singer says:

Very nice, I enjoyed it. Based on anything, or just something you dreamed up?

4. sgottahurt says:

That was lovely. Is it okay to say lovely? I meant, “That was bad ass!”

5. Beautiful piece of writing, Oma…I’m guessing you’re the Sheep Dog in this scenario? Reminds me of the Sheepdog and Wile E. Coyote on the Roadrunner Show…

Wendy

Thank you Wendy.

I am the dog. it did make me think about that cartoon. I even looked it up, was going to use a picture but they’re pretty strictly copyrighted so I didn’t.

Did you know the Coyote and The Wolf in those cartoons are exactly the same, except for their names and that one has a red nose and one has a black one?

6. madtante says:

I figured you were going at Ralph & Sam in retirement.

7. gmomj says:

Great parable.
    Man in the moon?
    I’m for staying on earth.
    It’s expensive but includes a free trip around the sun every year.

8. Todd Pack says:

How cool that you guys were able to talk about the old days. Do you think the Wolf has really cleaned up his act, or do you think that was just a story?

I’ve been in the biz enough to be cynical, but I’m in a spot to have known if he’d been messing up in that area, so I think he’s legit. He’s pretty worn down too.

9. Jane says:

If the two had started out at the coffee shop in the old days–they could have saved a good bit of energy to invest in something more productive than hide and seek. It’s nice, though, that the outcome is worthwhile.

Good story!

10. We found him Captain!! says:

Terrific story and excellent telling! Think of all the targeted and potentially mangled sheep who are still breathing today because the sheep dog cared enough to do his very best.
    Sheep dogs watch the whole flock and have to know where the strays are going.
    Keep up the good work…….

Thank you. I have a little less than three years of good work in me. Then I am going to change from a sheep dog who thinks he is a writer, to a writer who used to be a sheep dog.

11. N B says:

This story is lovely in its simplicity and profound in the implied meaning. Well, the meaning I took away from it. Thank you for sharing this!

12. thejaggedman says:

Nice work! Reminds me of a John Mellencamp song which is never bad.

13. Katybeth says:

This post has me humming the country tune….I am not as good as I once was but I am as good once as I ever was….
    I liked the wolf and was glad he moved on and changed his tune. I am big on happy endings, you know. Sheep dogs are tough, hard workers, and exceptionally loyal.

14. linlah says:

Nice story but I didn’t think it was wise for dogs to drink milk.

15. pattypunker says:

must have been hard for the wolf to run into the sheep dog again. i’m glad he is in a good place and doesn’t have to run anymore.

At least Wolf was able to turn it around. Unlike my former co-worker I blogged about, who by just a single day’s actions over a few hours, will spend life in prison without possibility of parole.

17. Zahara says:

Thanks for the peek into the pasture.

18. maggie says:

well told little story! enjoyed :)

19. [...] I’d take a fall, or something would fall on me. I had a particularly bad encounter with a gentleman I’ve written about here before. My work vehicle was hit by a drunk driver, with me standing beside it. If something didn’t [...]

20. [...] been more than a year since I wrote my post The Sheepdog And The Wolf. I still here from time to time from readers who want to know how The Wolf [...]

21. [...] in 2011, I wrote a piece called The Sheep Dog And The Wolf Go For Coffee. It is about old rivals crossing paths a few decades and miles from where they once tormented each [...]

22. [...] readers – this is one you might need some context on. You can get that context here…and [...]