Cover Song Of The Month: Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

This month’s cover song comes from the Monty Python film The Life of Brian and is the much loved song that closes the movie, Always Look At The Bright Side Of Life.

At the end of the movie, Brian finds himself in a fairly dire situation. A similarly circumstanced gentleman tries to lift Brian’s spirits by singing this song extolling the benefits of a positive attitude:

Our cover version of Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life is performed by Bruce Cockburn.

Celine Dion performing

Seriously, it isn't funny anymore. Take her back or tell us where the off switch is...please? ( Image via Wikipedia)

A quick side note here. I believe that the United States should make every effort to peaceably obtain Bruce Cockburn* from Canada. I’m confident that we were sent Celine Dion as some sort of joke. The joke was funny at first, Canada,  but now it is just annoying. It is time for it to stop.

Though I have no authorization to negotiate on behalf of the US Government, I am taking it upon myself to do so. Here is my offer to our northern neighbor – send us Bruce Cockburn, take back Celine Dion and while you’re at it, take any ten of your favorite artists in any field as a token of our appreciation. I assure you we will take good care of Bruce and allow for ample visitation. I am not asking for you to reciprocate the visitation offer vis-a-vis Ms. Dion.

Let’s haggle and get this worked out as soon as possible, shall we?

Moving along, here is the Cockburn version of the song from his live album -

The polls and comments are now open for your opinions on the Bruce Cockburn cover of Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life.

Additionally, any of my fellow Americans are welcome to add anything they can come up with of value to my opening offer to Canada. Help me make this deal for the good of us all.

* Should you be new to this man’s music and be interested in buying more, know that his last name is pronounced with the ck being silent.

21 Comments on “Cover Song Of The Month: Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life”

1. shoutabyss says:

I don’t know who Bruce Cockburn is, but it’s a nice version. I liked it.

I always wanted to be a lumberjack.

2. Zahara says:

I’ll throw in a batch of cookies to sweeten the deal.

3. I can’t be objective because I hate that song.

4. Kim Pugliano says:

Okay I’ll be honest here. I really don’t care for the song, BUT choosing between the two I hands-down chose Cockburn with a silent “ck.” That being said, I would happily contribute my home-made macaroni and cheese to the deal-sweeting because my mom apparently has “enough” side dishes for Thanksgiving dinner and I’m bitter about it and I really think someone needs to enjoy it rather than it being my home where it isn’t WeightWatchers friendly. Wait – did this comment just become about me? Sorry. ADHD is kicking in again.

Back to the song, the first guy sounded too much like the main character on “Lie To Me,” and he bugs me so I didn’t even listen to the whole song, but I did watch the whole blue video for Cockburn with a silent “ck.”

And there you have it – the comment from holy hell.

The blue video was an artistic statement.

Thank you for your contribution. The offer now stands at
      10 artists of Canada’s choice
      1 batch of cookies
      1 batch of macaroni and cheese(ck)

How do people determine enough for meals like that?

5. Todd Pack says:

The only other Bruce Cockburn songs I know are “Wonderin’ Where the Lions Are” and a song I downloaded a few years ago called (I think) “Last Night.” Also, some songs from his Christmas album. Based on those few songs, I am 100% in support of your trade. Also, do you think kids today still watch Python?

• Hey, Todd…”If I Had a Rocket Launcher,” “Lovers in a Dangerous Time,” “Tokyo,” “Waiting for a Miracle,” and “If a Tree Falls” are good, too. My kids like Monty Python…British comedy is pretty hot in Canada still.

Oma: Jim says you guys have Celine…now you’re stuck with her!

Wendy

Oh yeah, the Omawarison has seen all the Python shows. We’ve worn the dvd set out.

I’d add Pacing The Cage to Wendy’s song list and recommend the live album with the cover song of the month on it and the Slice o’ Life CD that came out last year. Slice o’Life is a solo concert recording that shows what a great guitarist the guy is.

Wendy, Jim is still on painkillers and not thinking clearly. Look at the next comment down. Muffins. MUFFINS! Yes, the pot has been sweetened.

We have muffins and we’re not afraid to use them.

• Hippie Cahier says:

Let’s not forget “Coldest Night of the Year,” which was my excuse recently for having TWO Irish coffees. Extra whipped cream. They were delicious.

• Zahara says:

Dear Todd, much to my delight, I recently discovered that my 14 year old who has seen more movies than god, had never been properly introduced to Monty Python. We watched the Holy Grail one and he is now smitten.

6. uniteusasone says:

I’ve listened to just about every Bruce Cockburn song (starting back in the 70’s) and have continued to be amazed of his ongoing originality. Therefore… I’ll throw in 2 one pound loaves of home made artisan whole wheat bread and a dozen brand muffins that are out of this world.

7. Oh no no no no no…Celine was a done deal. We are so good with never having her return. I stand my ground – Bruce Cockburn is ours!

Wait, what kind of negotiating position is no? Look at the growing list of valuable gifts you’ll get for taking her back:

10 artists of Canada’s choice
      1 batch of cookies
      1 batch of macaroni and cheese(ck)
      2 loaves of artisan whole wheat bread
      1 dozen bran muffins…Muffins! Cakey/bready goodness so good a mere metal cup cant contain it.

8. Hippie Cahier says:

Bruce Cockburn can do no wrong.

On a side note, please God do not let Celine Dion ever, ever, ever cover “If I Had a Rocket Launcher.”

Definitely prefer Bruce’s version. I don’t dislike the MP version, all things MP have their place. Back in the 80s when my BFF got married, for some reason those of us in the wedding party adapted the song “Sit on My Face” as our theme whenever we had to move as a group. Please do not validate Celine Dion by even mentioning her on Blurt.